If you’re new to airbrushing, you want to make sure you choose a good airbrush to get you started. You don’t need the most expensive option or one with tons of features. However, consider the Badger Patriot 105 Airbrush as your first model.
What are the basics of the Badger Patriot Airbrush 105? The Badger Patriot 105 is an excellent beginner’s airbrush, and it works well for miniature and model painting. It uses high-quality materials, and the design makes it easy to control. The airbrush also has a delicate balance, and interchangeable parts make it easy to upgrade.
Whether you’re new to airbrushing or not, the Badger Patriot 105 is worth considering. It has some fantastic features, and it’s relatively easy to use. You don’t need to worry about having a ton of experience to make the most out of this model.
The Badger Patriot 105 Airbrush uses gravity to feed paint through the needle, and it’s a double-action airbrush. You can use it for a lot of different things thanks to the versatile needle, which measures 0.51 millimeters.
This airbrush is easy to use, and it has a lot of great features for both beginners and more experienced people.
- It has a self-centering nozzle, which helps the airbrush and its parts stay in the right position as you use it.
- The design also means it is easy and comfortable to balance, and there’s a balancing system built into the airbrush.
- This airbrush is entirely metal, and so you don’t have to worry about flimsy plastic pieces, though there is a plastic cover for both the tip and the paint cup.
- Speaking of the paint cup, it can hold up to one-third of an ounce of paint, and the cup is permanently attached to the body.
- The needle on this airbrush is long enough that it sticks out behind the air cape so that you can use it more precisely. However, this will require special care when handling your airbrush.
- It comes with the tension trigger set to the maximum amount of tension, but you can adjust that if you decide to. Maximum tension is an excellent place to start, however.
The airbrush comes in a convenient case for storage and transportation, so you don’t have to worry about damaging it. However, you do have to be careful when dealing with the smaller parts. That way, you won’t bend the needle or knock anything out of its place.
Here is the video I shot for the Badger 105 review. Sorry about the sound being low in the very beginning… whoops. I go through my full thoughts though and show it in use:
Who It’s For
The Badger Patriot 105 is perfect for anyone new to airbrushing. Its features make it easy to start using right away, so you don’t need any experience. This airbrush is also versatile enough that you can keep using it as you gain experience airbrushing.
You can set it up, add some paint, and start your first airbrush project on the same day. While you may need to take time to learn how to use it, you can test things out. Instead of starting with the main project, you can use it on a variety of things, like scraps. That way, you can use the airbrush and sense how much tension you want and how it all works.
If you have used an airbrush before, you may also benefit from the Badger Patriot 105. Of course, all of its features transfer well for experienced painters. When you have the experience, you can manipulate the settings for the tension or add different paint. That way, you don’t have to worry about buying a new airbrush soon.
You can use the 105 for as long as it will last, and that should be quite a while. Whether you plan to use it every day or every once in a while, beginners should especially consider it. It’s also a helpful tool for anyone who paints models and other miniature items.
What It’s For
This airbrush is quite versatile. You can use it for just about any airbrushing project from using it on fabric to decorating a cake and anything in between. However, this airbrush is perfect for miniature and model painting.
- The airbrush and its needle are small enough that you can use the setup for smaller models and projects. You can use the needle to paint some finer details more easily.
- A miniature item would work well with the Badger Patriot 105. Not only can you use it for the details, but you may not need another tool for the project.
- You can also use this airbrush for other smaller projects. It’s easy enough to assemble and disassemble, and you can clean it so that you can use it for a lot.
- If you have multiple airbrushing projects, you can use the 105 for all of them. While you will need to clean out the paint between colors, it’s suitable for a variety of things.
As you learn how the airbrush works, you can continue to use it for even more amazing projects. While you will have to keep it clean and lubricated, it’s an excellent choice for painting small things at home. You don’t have to worry about having multiple airbrushes to do whatever you need, which is nice.
How It Works
The Patriot 105 looks and feels like a much more expensive airbrush, so it works like those more advanced options. Of course, it has the same basic design as other airbrushes, including a needle, a cap, a trigger, and a paint cup. All of those features and more combine to give you an easy-to-use airbrush.
Once you have the airbrush assembled, you can put a bit of paint into the paint cup. As you press the trigger, the paint will work its way into the needle and then out the needle and onto your canvas or item. Assuming you have it set up correctly, you need to worry about pressing the trigger to employ the paint.
You shouldn’t have to worry too much about getting the right tension at first, though you can change it if necessary. If you’re curious about the tension settings and how they work with your paint, you can experiment. However, don’t feel like you have to change any of those settings.
After you finish using the 105 for the day, you can easily disassemble it and clean it. That way, you can get all of the paint out, and you can make the airbrush last longer. Keeping it in good condition will help the parts move efficiently so that you can get the details you want.
Before you put your airbrush to your canvas of choice, it’s important to decide on the settings to use. There are a few different things you can change to customize your experience with the airbrush. As you use it for the first time, you should explore some of the settings to get a better understanding of it.
When it comes to the amount of pressure or tension, you can set it up to 30 or 35 PSI (pounds per square inch). However, you will want to use lower pressure settings for getting smaller details, and you can lower it to 10 or 15 PSI. Of course, you can also set it to different levels of tension within that range based on your needs.
You can create spray patterns as thin as a pencil line and as big as three inches so that you can use it for small details or larger areas. The nice thing about the attached paint cup is that you don’t have to worry about connecting it to the rest of the airbrush. Instead, you can choose acrylic or enamel paint in whatever color you like.
Once you load the paint cup and have everything set up, you’re ready to start using it. However, you should know what that might feel like before you settle on this airbrush.
The airbrush is very versatile in terms of tension and suitability for different projects. Since it’s beginner-friendly, it’s not too difficult to use, which can be helpful even for people with airbrushing experience. As long as you set it up correctly, you should be able to get whatever coverage you want out of it.
Of course, the first step is to load the paint cup with some paint, and you can use the small needle for your first stroke. You can use any color you want, and you can switch between colors, though that will require some cleaning.
As you use it, you may notice the paint cup is a bit big on the Patriot 105. While it can hold more paint, it can keep you from getting the best view of what you’re painting. Still, this model can work for painting details if you’re able to get at them from a good angle.
On the other hand, the larger paint cup makes it a fantastic choice for covering a larger area on a model or miniature project. That way, you won’t have to spend time going over the same spot again and again. You also won’t have to refill the paint cup as often.
Between uses, you should make a habit of cleaning and lubricating the Badger Patriot 105. Like any other airbrush, it can get messy on the inside, and too much of that can cause it not to work properly. If you want to keep your airbrush in good shape, you should know the necessary steps to maintain it.
- The first step to cleaning your airbrush is to disassemble it. In most cases, you only need to take off a few pieces, though you can remove more for a deeper clean.
- After you take pieces off, keep them somewhere safe, and remember what they do so that you can put them back on correctly.
- Next, take some airbrush cleaner and lubricate the moving pieces. Airbrush lubricant will help keep the pieces from sticking together so that you can use your airbrush.
- If you want to clean the airbrush even more, you can soak the pieces in an ultrasonic cleaner, though you may still want to use lubricant for daily cleaning.
- Once you finish cleaning your airbrush, put it back together so that pieces are where they were when you started.
You should plan to do the bare minimum maintenance after each time you use the airbrush so that you can keep the parts working smoothly. If you use it often, you may want to incorporate the ultrasonic cleaning step every once in a while to get even more grime off the airbrush.
The more often you clean your airbrush, the less it will accumulate dust and grime from regular use. While you don’t have to deep clean it every time, you should know how to maintain it so that you don’t risk damaging your airbrush.
Here’s a good video showing how to disassemble and reassemble the Badger Patriot 105.
Badger Patriot 105 Pros
Of course, no review of the Badger Patriot 105 would be complete without listing the advantages and disadvantages of it. If you’re unsure if it’s the model for you, consider these things to help you make your choice. That way, you can make the most educated decision for you and your airbrush needs.
The first advantage of the airbrush is that it’s easy to use right out of the box. You don’t need to worry about setting it up or getting a compatible paint cup. If you want to start airbrushing soon, you can do that with the 105.
Next, it’s also fantastic for beginners, but it has some advanced features that you can use. You can start with this airbrush and use it even once you gain a lot of experience. As you practice with it, you can explore some of the more advanced settings.
The Badger Patriot 105 is also amazingly versatile so that you can use it for many things. While it’s a great choice for miniature and model projects, it’s also useful for larger jobs. If you want a tool for almost any airbrushing project, this is the one for you.
Whether you’re new to airbrushing or experienced pro, you can find something to love about the Patriot 105. It has a lot of fantastic features and specs, and it’s easy enough for almost anyone to use.
Badger Patriot 105 Cons
Unfortunately, the Badger Patriot 105 isn’t perfect, so it’s worth mentioning the disadvantages. While you can use it for many things, there are times when you might want something else. So consider these cons before you choose the airbrush, and see if they will make or break the model for you.
The larger paint cup isn’t all bad, but it can block your view of some projects. If you need to paint a tiny detail, you may not be able to see what you’re doing with the 105. That can make it difficult to finish projects the way you want to.
Some of the more advanced features can be daunting to beginners. Sure, you can use them later, but it can be hard not to explore those things the first time you pick it up. Consider if you want something more straightforward.
The Badger Patriot is an excellent airbrush for many people, but it doesn’t come without faults. Knowing some of the disadvantages to it can help you decide if it’s the right model for you. If so, you can figure out how to overcome the potential issues.
What Else to Consider
Now, an airbrush doesn’t work on its own, and the Badger Patriot 105 is no exception. To get the most out of the 105, you need to use an airbrush compressor. The good news is that you have a few options to consider.
- An airbrush compressor can help you set the pressure level when using your airbrush. That way, you can get the look you want when painting.
- The best airbrush compressor will have different levels of pressure so that you can use it for different things.
- You should also consider the pressure level allowed based on the consistency of your paint. Thicker paints require a higher pressure to get the same output as thinner paints.
- The exact pressure level depends on the power of the compressor, so look into one that has consistent power.
- Airbrush compressors with tanks are more expensive, but they can give you more control over the pressure so that it doesn’t drop.
- You might also want to consider the noise level of the compressor. Some can be pretty loud, and that could be distracting, depending on how you work when you paint.
Choosing an airbrush compressor for your Badger Patriot 105 can be difficult. However, I’ve already done the work for you! Check out my entire airbrushing setup (including compressor options), right here.
The Badger Patriot 105 Airbrush is a fantastic option for beginners and anyone looking to use it on smaller-scale projects and models. You don’t need any airbrushing experience to use it, but it will last for a long time. It’s a worthy investment for both hobbyists and professionals.
Not sold on the 105? Here’s a full rundown of other popular Badger airbrushes.
Last update on 2023-06-08 at 04:48 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API