When first starting a new hobby, it can be tempting to go all out and buy advanced gear that you really don’t need yet.
It’s a much better idea to start with just the basics while you develop your skills and get a feel for the process.
The fancy stuff can wait until you’re further down the road in your resin adventures. Beginners only need a few essentials to get started:
- Casting resin
- Mixing cups
- Molds and mold release
- A heat source
- Safety gear
In the following, you’ll be presented with the best options for each of the basics as well as a few fun additives simple enough for beginners.
Once you select the essentials, you’ll be all set to begin creating.
To start your resin project, you will need casting resin. A suitable casting resin is essential for a high-quality result in your project.
Clear Casting and Coating Epoxy Resin – 1 Gallon Kit
- DEPENDABLE QUALITY: Art ‘N Glow’s clear epoxy resin kit is designed to work with our glow in the...
- FORMULATION PERFECTED: All resin is not created equally. Our epoxy includes expensive additives such...
This epoxy resin dries quickly and clearly. A 1-gallon kit is a great way to start with an epoxy resin project.
This substance is compatible with nearly every surface. These surfaces include wood, canvas, and concrete.
With this product, you will receive two solutions that mix at a 1:1 ratio. The result is a beautiful resin cast that is easy to work with.
- Easy for beginners to use.
- Simple 1:1 ratio.
- Allows for a 40-minute work time.
- The product may produce a lot of bubbles.
Epoxy Resin Casting and Coating Starter Kit
- Prefect fro Any Artist’s Project : PUDUO Epoxy Resin has been created specifically for the resin...
- UNIQUE FAST CURING Crystal CLEAR RESIN - Our PUDUO quick curing resin finished casting can be remove...
This starting kit is a great kit for beginner epoxy resin users. With this kit, you will also get a pair of gloves and handy tool kit.
The epoxy itself cures at a fast rate and is easy to work with. This product works well for a wide variety of projects. It is also compatible with almost every surface.
- High compatibility.
- Easy for beginners to use.
- Money-back guarantee.
- The resin may have issues hardening.
Mixing Cups for Resin
To work with resin, you will need special mixing cups.
The following pack is just right for small projects and you won’t have to worry about running out any time soon.
Disposable Epoxy Resin Mixing Cups
- 50 Resin Mixing Cups - 10oz (8oz measurements) disposable clear plastic measuring cups (PET)....
- Unleash Your Creativity - Our Pixiss Versatile Measuring Cups are not just for resin mixing, they...
With this product, you will receive 50 disposable mixing cups. Each mixing cup holds up to 10 ounces.
The cups measure in both milliliters and ounces, making them useful for multiple projects and instructions.
These cups are also good for general cooking and baking activities.
Resin should never run down the drain or go in a dishwasher, so having disposable cups is a helpful way to keep your plumbing system safe.
- Easy to read.
- Easy to use.
- Simple conversion.
- Not environmentally friendly.
Colorants are a great way to add color or design to your resin project.
Mica powders work great as a colorant and are easy to use even for beginners, but liquid pigments are great to use too.
Mica Powder for Epoxy – 25 Colors
- ETHICAL SOURCING: MiddleCoast Mica Powder is a 100% natural ground stone, Sourced by Ethical...
- LARGE QUANTITY WITH SPOON: Enjoy our unique 25 (10 Gram / 0.35 Oz) packs of each color,...
This product uses natural ground mica to produce vibrant colors that you can add to your resin projects.
The kit comes with 25 colors that you can choose from for your art. Not only are the mica powders beautiful, but they are also free of chemicals.
- Natural mica.
- Variety of colors.
- Product packaging can cause a mess.
Epoxy Resin Pigment – 15 Color Liquid Epoxy Resin Dye
- ASSORTED COLOR - 15 color epoxy resin color pigment are carefully-selected for resin art projects,...
- A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY - High concentration of epoxy resin color pigments, just a drop and you...
These epoxy resin pigments are another excellent option for adding color to your project. This kit comes with 15 colors to choose from.
The best part about this dye is that it is nontoxic and safe for kids to use.
- Safe to use.
- Wide variety of colors.
- Easy to control.
- Ingredients may separate after sitting for a while
Be sure to check with my article “Best Pigments for Resins” to see more resin coloring options.
Molds are necessary to create a shape out of your resin. There are many different shapes and sizes that molds can come in.
Resin Epoxy Mold for Tray With 2 Gold Handles
This resin mold is great for a variety of different art projects. The tray itself is silicone and is compatible with resin epoxy. Cleaning the mold is easy due to the material.
- Easy to clean and use.
- Mold is flexible and simple to remove.
- The bottom of the tray is thin.
LET’S RESIN Coaster Resin Molds
- New Version Coaster Resin Molds Set - In response to the mold deformation problem of the old...
- For Longer Molds Use - It's highly recommended to avoid using a torch/heater directly onto the resin...
These resin molds come in a pack of four. They are round in shape and allow artists to create a variety of different projects.
The molds are highly durable and great for beginner artists.
- Durable silicone material.
- Easy for beginners.
- Resin casting may stick to the mold.
20 Piece Jewelry Casting Molds
- EXCELLENT DIY TOOLS: You can use the resin molds to create beautiful jewelry things, such as...
- MATERIAL: The pendant making molds are made of soft silicone, which is flexible, durable.
This 20-piece mold kit is a great set for creating resin jewelry. If you are someone who wants to get into making jewelry with resin, consider getting this kit to start.
The kit comes with five different styles to choose from.
- Variety of styles.
- Molds include a hole for stringing finished pendant onto chain.
- Molds may be flimsy.
To remove the resin from your mold, a release spray may be necessary. The APEL Mold Release Spray is a great product to use.
APEL Silicone Mold Release Spray
- Perfect For Many Projects - Mold release spray is an excellent choice for almost any project that...
- High Silicone Content - The high level of silicone in our epoxy mold release ensures that your epoxy...
This product is reliable in ensuring that your resin project does not break while removing it from the mold.
The spray is compatible with both silicone and rubber molds. As silicone and rubber can be prone to tearing, using this spray can help save you money in the long run.
- Easy to use.
- Can help you save money.
- Unpleasant smell.
A heat gun is another critical tool for working with resin. You can use a small heat gun or a large one depending on the size of your project.
Below are two options for a heat gun based on size.
Mofa Resin Heat Gun (small)
This resin heat gun is the smaller option of the two heat guns on this list.
It is a great option for removing air bubbles and accelerating cure time on smaller resin projects.
- Great for small projects.
- Cord is nearly 6 feet long.
- Not good for larger resin projects.
Wagner Spraytech HT1000 Heat Gun (large)
- DUAL TEMPERATURE HEAT GUNS: The HT1000 Heat Gun offers a 750ᵒF and 1000ᵒF temperature setting to...
- HEAT GUN FOR HOUSEHOLD PROJECTS: Use this heat gun to soften paint, electrical wire shrinking,...
This heat gun is the larger of the two options and comes equipped with two temperature settings.
The Wagner Spraytech is excellent for curing larger resin projects and can be used for a variety of other jobs around the house.
- Suitable for large resin projects.
- Lightweight and heats up quickly.
- May not hold up to frequent or heavy-duty use.
The most important supplies for working with resin is your safety gear.
Safety gear can come in many different forms and protect your skin and hands while working with resin.
EROCK Reusable Half Face Cover
- High Quality & Comfortable Material: The half cover is made of high grade silicone material, and the...
- Wide Application: Get the job done without frequent change-outs. Suitable for painting, spraying,...
This face cover is a safe way to protect the face and respiratory tract while working with epoxy resin.
The components that are in contact with your skin are soft and comfortable and the filter cartridges are easy to replace.
- Comfortable to wear.
- May have problems sealing.
Heavy-Duty Nitrile Gloves
- High Quality Material : Excellent quality Nitrile gloves by Infi-Touch. These disposable gloves are...
These heavy-duty gloves are great for protecting the hands while working with resin.
They offer adequate protection for your skin without sacrificing mobility and the sense of touch.
- Comes with 100 gloves.
- Glove sizes may run small.
Additives are a way that you can spice up your resin project. Below are three different kinds of additives that you can add to your resin.
KINNO Gilding Flakes
- Add a touch of luxury to your resin creations with this set of 3 bottles of gilding gold leaf...
- Use these gilding flakes for a variety of applications, including nail art design, resin supplies,...
These gilding flakes are a beautiful way to add a level of depth and sparkle to your resin project.
This set comes with 10 grams each of silver, gold, and copper flakes in wide-mouth plastic containers.
- Comes in a variety of colors.
- Silver flakes may be challenging to work with.
LET’S RESIN Mixology Chunky Glitter
- More Elegant Opal Glitter with Premium quality: With advanced production technology, the chunky...
- 12 Colors Opal Chunky Glitter: 12 bottles of vibrant colors resin glitter, sufficient quantity meets...
This product is for glitter lovers and was designed with resin crafts in mind. Adding sparking glitter can add a fun element to your project and enhance your designs.
- Comes in 12 colors.
- Suspends evenly throughout the resin.
- May cause a mess.
SUNYIK Fluorite Tumbled Chips Crystal Quartz Pieces
- Size of stone: approx 0.1"-0.5"(3-15mm),Quantity:1Pack(1lbs);Weight(Approx):1...
- PS:Stones are undrilled,no holes,no clasp,irregular.Every pound of stones are crushed, screened,and...
Quartz pieces make a beautiful addition to any resin project and this set is full of eye-catching color.
You’ll receive just under 1 cup of small-size stones in vivid color, plenty for decorating several small resin projects.
- Easy to work with.
- Pretty colors.
- A small amount of product for the price.
How Do You Clean Epoxy Resin Spills?
Epoxy resin can be a messy substance. As a result, spills and messes are likely to occur.
The most important thing you need to remember when cleaning up a resin spill is that resin and epoxy should never go down your drain.
If your resin spills, you will want to clean up the mess as soon as possible.
Once the substance cures, it will become more difficult to work with. It’s recommended to wear a pair of gloves to protect your skin from the product.
You will need a firm object. A butter knife or a similar item will do.
Use the item to scrape off any resin you can from the surface. Once you clean off the majority of your resin, you will need a towel.
Dampen the towel in a solvent (such as acetone)and thoroughly clean the surface where the spill happened.
Once the solvent dries, you can recheck the surface to see if you missed any resin.
Any remaining resin will most likely cure by the time the solvent dries. Removing hard resin will require scraping with sandpaper or a similar tool.
What Can You Do With Leftover Resin?
If you have leftover resin, there are multiple different ways that you can utilize the substance after your main project.
If you have small molds, you can create a small figure or project out of the molds. You can create key rings, jewelry, or small figurines.
If you cannot think of a specific project, you can let your imagination run wild. Experimenting with resin is a great way to inspire your inner artist.
What Are Some Easy Resin Projects for Beginners?
While working with resin can appear to be difficult, there are a lot of project options for beginners.
Beginner projects can include creating key chains, notebooks, jewelry, fake plants, and much more.
You can even create resin crystals to get the hang of how the substance works.
Those who are new to the product will want to make sure to read all directions and follow all safety procedures when handling the substance.
What Can I Cover My Resin Art With While It Cures?
To complete your resin project, you will need to let it cure. Similar to clay, the resin needs to set and harden for you to handle the final project.
The best way to cover your resin art is to find a large container that will cover the entire project. You want to ensure that no dust or dirt gets into your art as it cures.
A Quick Look Back
Now that you know what you’ll need to get started, you can select your favorites and begin planning your first resin casting creation!
Just be sure that you have all of the following on hand before you begin: casting resin, mixing cups, pigment, molds and mold release, a heat source, and of course, safety equipment.
That’s really all there is to it!
Last update on 2023-06-07 at 08:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API